Friday, April 17, 2015

Literature Overview and Data Set update

I have updated my data set with a variables page, it is the second one. The updated data set is here. I've started trying to use Stata to see if I can find any interesting relationships. I'll let you know how that has been going next week.

I also updated my Literature review. If you have the time, could you skim it for about 5 minutes, just to see if the format is correct. I'm worried it may sound too much like an essay, rather than a literature review. The update can be found here.

If there's anything more I should be doing, please let me know. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. On the variables - You have a cost per completion, budget per fte student, and completions per 100 fte students. It seems to me that two of these imply the third. So you need to be careful about what variables you include and what you exclude. Also, it would be good to do some simple correlations, like how cost per completion relates to percent minority students. I am also wondering on variables that are not on your list but would be good to have. The main ones are family income and/or location of residence before attending the U of I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the literature review (not overview) a discussion of the issues and citing the relevant references is exactly what you want, so that part is fine. Some fine tuning I suggest follows:
    (1) please put in a line space between paragraphs.
    (2) please link to an article if it is available online. Alternatively, please like to the Library entry for the article and to the Google Scholar entry. The goal is to make it easier for anyone else to track down the reference.
    (3) there are some formatiing/spacing issues with particular references. They distract from everything else so you'd like to get rid of them if you can.

    ReplyDelete